by Diego Nascimento*
Millions of Internet users make use of electronic mail (e-mail) to exchange information. In companies the scenario is no different. It is through thisamazing technology that images, audio files, videos and texts are also shared. Want an example? If you are reading this article right now, there is ahigh probability you received this message via email. Now we will take note of some tips that can optimize the use of this tool:
- Createan email address using common sense: I’ve received resumes or cover letters in which the return email address of the sender made mention of nicknames. In the corporate world this type of address can lead to problems. In most cases try to use your own name or, if you prefer, words that are related to your area of expertise.
- Appreciatethe Portuguese language: Writing is a daily necessity (mostly) in the workplace. Sending a message with Portuguese errors shows unpreparedness. In most selection processes for recruitment of employees, writing is one of the main factors for being hired.
- Beware of all caps:MANY PEOPLE WRITE MESSAGES IN ALL CAPS WITHOUT A THOUGHT. This form of text writing (like the last sentence) symbolizes SHOUTING in digital communication. Avoid this.
- Signyour messages: At the end of each text sign your full name and other means of contact. This simple approach saves time for therecipient/respondent.
- Get in the habit of answering your emails:Whether it is personal or professional communications, respond to the messages (unless the contentrequires a face-to-face or telephone call). Do not leave the writer anxiously waiting for your reply.
- Clean out yourmailbox: Have you ever imagined a drawer overflowing with papers needlessly? The same applies to your mailbox. Check your inbox regularly and delete any unnecessary messages. For important emails create folders.
- Take careof your company’s reputation: I know people who receive messages with strange content and, surprisingly the sender used his corporate email. For messages containing jokes and any other personal content, I suggest creating a specific account (there are many Internet providers).
Want to share your experiences? Feel free. I’m ready to listen!